Sunday, November 13, 2011

Coffee Spice Cookies

I had to post this picture first, because I knew it would be the one people see and if you know me...I would not normally ever buy this kind of coffee. However, it the recipe called for instant coffee and only 1 teaspoon, I couldn't bring myself to buy a container of instant coffee, and I didn't want to waste my favorite instant version of coffee, so I opted to purchase the inexpensive small box of this coffee.

You want to know my favorite version of instant coffee? If you have come from my home blog you would have watched this already...if not...please click HERE now, watch the special video and come right back!

Ok, back to business. Just wanted to add this picture so you can see all that can be done in a busy kitchen. I'm a homeschooling Mom and we need to multitask like crazy around here. Shane catching up on his reading. Finished the whole book while I got my mise en place ready...

This recipe comes from my Cookie Lover's Cookbook (see side panel). 

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 teaspoon instant coffee crystals
  • 1 teaspoon of hot water
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flower
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup of candy sprinkles or multicolored shot


---about 5 1/2 dozen cookies

DIRECTIONS:

In a small bowl (or cup) combine coffee crystals and water. Stir until crystals are dissolved.

In a large mixing bowl, combine, coffee, sugar, butter, egg and vanilla.

BEAT at medium speed of electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add flour, baking powder, allspice, and salt. Beat at low speed until soft dough forms. (And it will be very soft - I had to actually put it in my refrigerator for about 5 minutes just to get it to where I could divide the dough.)  

Divide dough in half. Shape each half into 1 1/2 inch diameter log. Roll logs evenly in sprinkles pressing lightly to coat. Wrap in plastic wrap or wax paper. Chill for 3-4 hours until firm.

HEAT oven to 375

CUT logs into 1/4 inch slices. Place slices 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. 

BAKE for 6-8 minutes, or until set. (Careful because bottoms will look a lot differently than tops)

COOL completely before storing.

So now for a few photos with hints that should make you smile. First while my dough had to sit in the refrigerator to get to the point where I could divide it..I allowed my official taste tester to do his thing. (I know the hazards...but if you've seen what this child has put in his mouth over the last 8 years...one little raw egg mixed in with this dough will not kill him.)

Divide dough in half. This is where my OCD love for exact science comes in. I'm sure you "real" cooks out there will be fine just eyeballing your dough and dividing it. Me, I need my scale. Here we are with all of the dough....
..and here we are with half. Tada..evenly divided..because I'm a scientist not a cook.
Once the dough is evenly divided, Shape each half into 1 1/2 inch diameter. What, no ruler you say?...
Silly reader, guessing is for cooks - I have the ruler and yes I did measure it!
Roll logs evenly in sprinkles, pressing lightly to coat. I used my Candy Corn Cookie Bark sprinkles to keep it fall festive...but I've changed this up in the past and used sprinkles to match the season/holiday.

Cut logs into 1/4 inch slices. Yes, I used a ruler again so I can see what that looked like...
And now you can too. :) I'm having so much fun with my little phone camera, holding a ruler and an knife and a camera...perhaps I have superpowers too...lol! Nope....just having fun!

Ahhh..finished product...made the house smell of coffee and cookies...two smells I'm sure we'll continue to enjoy in Heaven some day.
Just so you know..this is not an overly sweet cookie..which is great for the person who would actually like to have these cookies accompany their favorite...
...cup of coffee. It is actually the absolute perfect cookie to go with coffee. If you are a coffee drinker you will understand. Sweet cookies ruin the taste of delicious coffee. So, the Coffee Spice Cookie is one of the best "to-go-with-coffee" cookies EVER! Try it. Let me know how you like it. Thanks for stopping by the kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment