Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Eggplant Balls

Eggplant Balls

Recently I was blasted on Facebook because I now own my own health and wellness franchise and I'm still baking cookies. Yes, I still bake cookies, I love it, its one of my passions and it makes me happy. You must find the balance in everything. So today I'm showing something healthy, albeit delicious - and yes, my superheros love this too. Eggplant balls. You can put them in spaghetti sauce like we will be doing tonight, or eat them right off the plate - like we did the last time we made them. Yum either way - I promise!

Tower Garden with tons of eggplants
I paid $1 for a tiny little eggplant seedling and placed it in my tower garden (yes this is something that I sell in my business). I have made two batches of eggplant balls, at least 4 dinners of eggplant parm and I've given away probably 2 or 3 dozen eggplants to friends.
My tower garden helper!
The best way to start is by grabbing an handsome helper! I've got 3 to choose from! He helped me harvest some veggies.

Just one day's harvest of eggplants

I've changed the recipe a bit, but the original comes from Aunt Mary's Eggplant Balls. 

Ingredients:
3 Tbsp. olive oil
5+ cloves of garlic (is it possible to have too much?)
4 cups of eggplant (peeled and cubed)
1 Tbsp of water
1/2 grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup fresh parsely
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 seasoned breadcrumbs

Instructions:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. I line every baking sheet with parchment paper, almost every single time no matter what, but you could grease a pan I guess (you'll just have to clean up...)


I love these Japanese eggplants. They don't have as many seeds as other types, plus 4 of these makes about 4 cups of cubed eggplant. So I peel and cube my eggplants first and then get all of my other ingredients together. You know I've said it before - get my "mise en place" (French pronunciation: ​[mi zɑ̃ ˈplas]) is a French culinary phrase which meant "putting in place", as in set up) .


Pour olive oil in to a skillet and saute garlic just until lightly browned (always happens quick). Mix in eggplant and water. Reduce heat to low and cover skillet. Allow eggplant to steam until soft, about 20 minutes. I peek every so often and mash it with my wooden spatula.


After it is good and soft (mushy) place it in a large bowl to cool off a little. While it cools go ahead and beat those eggs! Then when it has cooled down enough that you won't cook the eggs in it, add the rest of the ingredients (I put a few twists of my himalayan sea salt in there...just for a little extra yum.) Stir with a wooden spoon or your hands (if you like that sort of thing) until the ingredients are thoroughly combined and mixture can be rolled into balls. (Add more bread crumbs as needed to make mixture workable - I didn't have to do this - you want them soft - so they don't dry out).

Refrigerate mixture for 15 minutes....

then roll into balls (or you can form into patties.) Place eggplant balls on prepared baking sheet - like above and bake in your preheated oven for 30 minutes. (I turn them over once around the 15 minute mark.) Best when served immediately...but I have kept them in the refrigerator and thrown them in marinara sauce. If you have picky eaters, I am not kidding, throw them in some sauce and don't say a word - they will NEVER know you fed them eggplant. Bwahahaha!  Side note: you can totally freeze these babies too.

I just got back to my computer after having my whole wheat pasta, 3 eggplant balls and a few shrimp (Mr. Incredible was in the mood for shrimp) it was delicious.  I know it looks odd, but who cares!
I'm so glad you (and I) found our way back to the kitchen. I've enjoyed our time....let's do this again soon. (Something pumpkiny maybe...)!

No comments:

Post a Comment